May 30, 2012

Scott Henderson & Chick Corea : Quotes.





Chick Corea Elektric Band live in Madrid, May 1986 - Elektric City

Chick Corea: keyboards
Dave Weckl: drums
John Patitucci: bass
Scott Henderson: guitar




'You were in the first incarnation of the Chick Corea Elektric Band too. How did that compare?
Chick is one of those "Play my notes and I’ll throw you a bone once in awhile" band leaders. That, to me, is the epitome of a classical jazz gig. He’s an amazing composer and really interacts well with soloists. He’s doing that a lot more with his new band. But when I was in the band, it was pretty much a more commercial version. I think I was playing in the band at the wrong time. What he was doing was more geared to smooth jazz, so it was a very structured gig.' (from Innerviews)


"I don't think Weckl and Patitucci were as wary of him as I was, since I definitely have no use for organized religion, and Scientology is #1 on my avoid at all cost list. John is a Christian, so I'm sure he had his own issues with Chick's beliefs, but while I was in the band he kept them to himself. After I was gone, I heard they were "arguing religions" which I find outrageously barbaric. Nothing more pathetic than people arguing about things they think they know, but in reality, don't. Dave and I never discussed religion with anyone while I was in the band, but my personal lifestyle with some of the female audience members was in direct violation of Scientology doctrine, so I had to hide it from them, an act I'm not at all proud of. Even though I still regard Chick as one of the most brilliant pianists in the world, very much enjoyed listening to him play every night, and shared some laughs and good times with him, to this day I regret taking that gig - it wasn't at all what I expected. I thought it would be musically challenging and good for my career, but at that time, Chick was into having a highly commercial band. His stage and performance concepts negatively affected my attitude and playing, and I found that being a sideman did nothing for my career compared to writing my own music. Plus I felt that I'd lost my integrity because I changed my behavior so as not to offend the people around me, and no gig is worth that. In hindsight, I wish when I was told to "play your solos out on the edge of the stage" like a strutting pop star, that I had said "What is this, Vegas? Go **** yourself". Then my six month gig as guitarist for the Elektric Band would have been reduced to one week.
After that experience I'd pretty much decided never to be a sideman again, but luckily I got the gig with Zawinul. Not only was the music great, but there were no cults or religious zealots, and there were WAY more hot chicks at the gigs. That was a good healing period for me after what I'd been through with the Flanders family." Scott H.

No comments:

Post a Comment