November 26, 2012

Top 10: Online guitar lesson sites

 Top 10 of the best online guitar lessons. 

Help me put together a list of the best guitar lesson sites on the planet. It doesn't matter which genre or level. I've put down a number of criteria which I think are relevant.
As a professional teacher I am used to looking at different guitar books. I check the new method books that come out every year so I can give my pupils the best quality.  More and more kids rely on internet Tabs. Because the tabs are online pupils think they are correct. Most pupils don't seem to realize they are full of mistakes and they miss an overview. For example: they jump from (tab-) number to number not realizing that they are playing a chord that is arpeggiated!
Youtube lessons are there for pupils to enjoy too. Most are horrible and done by guys who can just about play the song they are teaching. There are a lot of great ones too. These are usually linked to a website which provide you with the tabs/ notation and extra info.



There are many sites in every conceivable  genre of amazing quality all the way to very bad sites.
What makes a guitar lesson good or bad?

1. Content.
They information has to be correct and relevant to the style.

2. Presentation
Clear explanation with quality videos. Great players aren't always the best teachers but when Robben Ford or Tim Miller talk you listen. More and more people are watching online material on their mobile device. Does it work there also?

3. Extra material ( pdf's, backing tracks, mobile version?)
These materials add to the learning experience.

4. Online community. ( Forum, facebook, twitter, etc)
Can I ask questions or is it a one way street?

Here are a few larger companies and individual guitar players that started their own site. There are thousands of sites but which ones are the best?
365.com, Lick Library, Tim Miller, Chuck D'Aloia, True Fire, Infinite guitar.com, Mike's Masterclasses, Morton's guitar lessons, jazzguitarlessons.net, freeguitarvideos.com, Sizzlingguitarlicks.com, artistworks.com, guitaraxis,




2 comments:

  1. I'll put a vote in for freeguitarvideos.com being my favorite. Lot of content and variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very thank you for sharing online guitar lesson! I like the topic that you have been discussed.Thanks a lot for posting.My regards to you.

    ReplyDelete