November 2, 2013

10 questions with Frank Gambale

Frank Gambale may not be a household name in the traditional sense but for those of us that have been paying attention, you don't have to look very far to find Frank's name being thrown around within the world of Guitar, Jazz or Guitar Instruction. In fact, he's been an important "player" in the world of guitar dating back to the early 80's. Back in the 80's, Frank released several solo efforts as well as his first instructional video, Monster Licks and Speed Picking, to much critical praise. As a GIT graduate, Frank also spent some time teaching at his alma mater. Frank's instructional technique truly excited players in revolutionary ways. In the later part of the 80's, Frank joined forces with Steve Smith (of Journey fame) in Vital Informationand also worked with Mike Varney's label on a unique project featuring him, Brett Garsed and Shawn Lane.
Fg Promo 1 Jpg 13097Clearly, Frank has kept himself quite busy and now as we fast forward to 2011, we find Frank out on the road touring with Chick Corea's Return to Forever and doing what he does, so very well. Currently on tour, be sure to visit Franks' site for more information. So now, let us catch up with Frank - he's been busy we know but what's he been up to recently. Frank takes the time to answer our 10 Question segment...
Guitar.com:Hey Frank, thanks for taking the time to chat with us. What is your daily practice routine?
Frank Gambale: When I was younger my routine was rigorous. I remember at least two times in my life when I was practicing 12 hours a day for years at a time. I was absorbing as much as I could. I was copying songs from records. I was into learning all the parts including the keyboard voicings, the horn parts, the vocal harmonies….as well as the guitar parts…I was really interested in how all the parts fit together. These days, with a lot less time to spare I find myself focusing on things that I need or music that I have to learn for a show….or writing my own new music. I think it’s important to think about what you want to achieve if you have an hour to practice. Take 10 minutes and think “what do I play on an E7#9 chord or I want to learn the chords and melody to Passages”. Then off you go, you have a mission and a timeline! I work well with deadlines.
Guitar.com: What is your process for writing tunes?
Gambale: It’s a labor of love. Sometimes…….

No comments:

Post a Comment